Wednesday, October 1, 2008

No Speed Left in MB's Old Bones

Today I tried to do some "speed" running to test how fast I might be able to run the Tyler Half. I did a 1.375 mile warmup at around 11:50/mile, 5 "sprints" of 1.025 miles @ an average of 9:00/mile -- interspersed with 1/2 mile jogs @ 12:05/mile, followed by a 1.5 mile cooldown at arund 12:05/mile. After comfortably doing my first 2 1.025 mile laps at 9:15/mile and 9:00/mile pace, I tried to somewhat "push" the 3rd 1.025 mile sprint (having run 4.425 miles to that point) and comfortably could only do 8:30/mile. Even worse, I was so burnt by that "fast" lap that my 4th and 5th 1.025 mile laps were at only 9:15/mile and 9:00/mile pace.

While it was cold (55 degrees) and misty wet conditions that made it hard for me to get warmed up during the run and somewhat frosty on my lungs, and I should have worn warmer clothes, I still should have been able to run faster.

Thus, I have discovered there is no speed in these old bones, and I will have to concentrate on just finishing the 13.1 mile Tyler Half rather than trying to run a quicker time. If I run too fast, I will likely slow to a crawl the last few miles and suffer for it. Besides, my time is going to be so slow anyway (even if I do a MB sprint) that an extra few minutes will matter to no one else but me.

My mantra is now: "I will finish!"

2 comments:

The Sabins October 6, 2008 at 11:23 AM  

I would just like to say the best part of this post is how the mileage is to the third decimal point. ;)

See ya'll on Friday!

MarathonBob October 6, 2008 at 11:51 AM  

I am stuck with a loop around the pond that is just over 1 mile in length. If I do not use the third decimal place, I either over- or under-estimate how far and fast I have run -- which can add up to 2 tenths of a mile difference on 8 mile runs (and 2 minutes of incorrect time).

Pray for no rain on Saturday!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP