Thursday, August 21, 2008

Defeat...more than a state of mind


I did some calculations and in the interest of protecting myself at this crucial stage of getting back to running, I'll likely be bowing out of the Tyler Half.

My therapist and I talked last night after some examinations and I'm starting back running this weekend. But at no more than 2 miles on a track. Running only the straight sections and walking the curves. If I increase at 10% a week, which he fully believes I should stick to so as to avoid further injury during rehab, I am no where near even 6 miles in the seven weeks left until event day.

Since I am already registered, I could possibly walk the entire thing which might take somewhere near four hours. There might be a possibility I would run the first 4 miles and then walk from there. This would put me at about 3.5 hours. But I do know for sure I will not be running.
I'm reallllllly trying to keep upbeat because I was SO looking forward to completing this. But I have to remind myself there are other feats of festivus to be accomplished next year. Either way I'll still be at the finish line cheering and congratulating MM and MB!
Keep training and maybe we can do something in the early spring! And we might be able to do the Turkey Trot 8!

2 comments:

MarathonBob August 23, 2008 at 7:05 PM  

Wise decision. Your long-term health is more important. You can come cheer as MM blazes the 13.1 miles and giggle as MB shuffles to the bitter end. By the way, MB ran 8 miles with me this a.m. although she had not run more than 5 miles yet, at my tortise-like pace, she easily handled the 8 miles and felt so much residual energy that she sprinted the last 1/4 mile!

The Mighty Minyard's August 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM  

oh my goodness, I'm seriously tearing up.. I'm so sorry. .. I am impressed with your focus and strong will to improve your longterm health.
Keep your chin up.. Go Turkeys!!!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP