Thursday, August 7, 2008

Physical Therapy

I went to my first physical therapy appointment last night. After an initial discussion and examination my PT (Jake) decided the best course of action is to work on core strength and range of motion exercises. Part of this is to try and prevent muscle atrophy so that going back to running will be easier after the healing process. He feels that if I pull back and keep up other cardio exercises that do not cause pain I should likely be able to return to normal recreational activities. The goal is to rehab without a surgical intervention.

Yesterday we did some biking to warm up and ultrasound. Then some quadricep strengthening exercises followed by core strengthening exercises. Lastly some calf exercises (to work on strengthening both above and below the joint.) I'll go twice a week for a while and he prepared a handout for me to do at home twice a day.

I like my PT, he is a marathoner and triathlete so he understands first hand the kind of stress my joints will endure and what is required for each sport. He is also very soft spoken and easy to work with so I'm optimistic this will be a positive improvement for me.

3 comments:

MarathonBob August 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM  

How does the PT affect if and when you return to running, whether you can do your Denison Triathlon, and when you will know whether you can run/jog/walk the Tyler 1/2?

The Sabins August 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM  

The one thing I don't have is a 'date' I can return to running. I'm hoping PT will help get me closer faster and certainly help long-term. Unfortunately, this isn't like a ligament tear where the recovery timeline is predictable. It is very 'whenever there is no pain, you can return.' I think I will be in 'take it as it comes' pattern. I'm trying to supplement the lack of running with other cardio and targeting those muscles without the pounding.

I'll train for Denison but won't make a game decision until likely the week or two before. I'll train for and will be at Tyler and should be able to tell at least a few weeks before that one whether I can accomplish a walk/run method.

MarathonBob August 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM  

OK. Just let me know if and when you want to do any runs together.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP