Thursday, June 19, 2008

Quick Thought on Why I Run

Two of the reasons that I enjoy jogging/running are (1) when I run alone I can enjoy the clearest of perspective and thinking on myself and the world about me and (2) when I run with others, especially family, we share a common bond in our effort that non-runners do not comprehend.

First, when I run alone, while my body is meandering through a run, however easy or hard, long or short, my mind can go wherever it wants without the interruptions of a noisy world. Sometimes my brain can meander through unstructured chunks of thought before hitting upon something of real value to my day or life. On other occasions, I just enjoy observing the things around me and pondering how cool this world is. In fact, I have gone away from wearing earphones and listening to music, news, etc. while running, because those things already intrude upon my life the other 23 hours of my day and I want my runs to be something different, and better.

In addition, although 99.99% of us are not the fastest in the world, through running we learn to reach beyond ourselves to feel the exhilaration of going farther and faster than we thought possible. Those who refuse to run can never understand how running may be the purest form of athletic endeavor. Only in running do we have to accomplish the run almost totally by ourselves. While a group can help us to see more of ourselves than we do, thus allowing us to go farther and faster, in the end we alone can push ourselves to the end. Runners get what Edmund Hillary meant when he was asked why he climbed Mount Everest and said: "Because it is there." Only those who have summitted Everest understand what it means to be "there." In essence, runners run because through running we see something greater in ourselves than we do through other endeavors. We run to see and feel what is "there" in running and nowhere else.

A runner understands what Amby Burfoot, a lifelong runner, former Boston Marathon winner (as well as other marathons), and executive editor of "Runner's World" magazine meant when he said: "I have learned that there is no failure in running, or in life, as long as you keep moving. It's not about speed and gold medals. It's about refusing to be stopped." ("The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life," Burfoot, A. 2000). And runners refuse to be stopped.

Second, when I run with others, we share a common understanding that running together is more than sweat and effort; it is about comradery and caring more about the group than ourselves. When runners truly run together they have no need to one up or beat any of the group. The fastest runner wants the slowest runner to "finish the run" and is willing to sacrifice speed and distance to make that happen. The slowest runner often runs farther and faster than expected and reaps the reward of being "pulled along" by the other runners. And everyone has a good time. Because we care more about the group than ourselves, we become not just better runners, but better people in all parts of our lives.

7 comments:

The Sabins June 19, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Nice post. Very existential!

This is funny:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/26/27-marathons/

The Mighty Minyard's June 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

http://milemarkers.runnersworld.com/2008/05/dog-bone.html

Ok, so this is a good link... if it's actually a link. Very encouraging.

The Sabins June 23, 2008 at 8:39 AM  

MM, Good article...

I'm feeling a little down today and I like the quote that the "best way not to get picked on is to do nothing. Be nothing, learn nothing, do nothing, stand for nothing, and talk to no one."

The Mighty Minyard's June 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

I agree, I just re-read that aristotle quote in a financial book I'm reading... Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.
It's so true...
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds" -A.Einstein.

Here's a fun study that you might enjoy;
A bunch of monkeys were put into a room with a pole that had bannanas at the top. Every time a monkey began to climb the pole a person holding a water hose would knock the monkey off with water.. this continued untill all the monkeys had at one point been knocked off. A new monkey was introduced. He immediately began to climb, but the rest of the monkeys got angry and pulled him off. All new monkeys were eventually rotated into this room, so none of the original monkeys remained that had been knocked off. Here's the weird part. None of the new monkeys allowed eachother to climb the pole.. though none knew why..
So if people are pulling you down, just remember their a bunch of dumb monkeys!
Love ya J.

The Sabins June 24, 2008 at 8:19 AM  

MM - That is a FANTASTIC story - lol...I'm going to walk around all day now thinking 'they are just a bunch of dumb monkeys.' *giggle*

MarathonBob June 24, 2008 at 10:02 AM  

I like to quote Satchel Paige occasionally, and one of his thoughts comes to mind when I have no desire to run and I decide to stay home: "I don't generally like running. I believe in training by rising gently up and down from the bench."

I have come to realize that sometimes it is ok to relax for a day (or longer) and not fret about training.

Two other Satchel Page quotes come to mind when I feel old (at one time running 6 1/2 minute miles for an entire marathon to now celebrating 2-3 mile "runs" at 11-12 minute pace): "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" and "Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."

I cannot change how old I am, so I try to enjoy who I am now -- not who I once was.

Try to enjoy who you are and not who you were or would like to be. Not being the world's fastest runner or even faster than MM doesn't matter. Do what is good for you and laugh at those monkeys chasing the bananas.





Satchel Paige

The Mighty Minyard's June 24, 2008 at 6:48 PM  

mwah ha ha.. We're so cool.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP