Sunday, June 29, 2008

Weekend Update...with Kevin Nealon

Well I guess you gotta be kinda old to get the title reference but at least I'm giggling.

Saturday morning I dragged myself and the kiddos to the gym to run since DH was at weekly bball. I wore yet a third pair of running shoes I have. These are new balance (shout out) and a little too wide for me but I thought I'd give it a try. I remembered to start drinking my h20 as soon as I woke up and brought along a bottle and my trusty ipod. The plan called for 4 miles. And the whole way to the gym I was thinking 'well maybe I can just do 3, or 3.5 if I feel good.' As soon as I got on the treadmill though I knew I was doing four miles, even if it meant I walked the whole thing. Because I'm a list maker and I can't check things off if I don't complete them!

I warmed up longer at first since I was hoping this would make my calves less sore. I counted the warm up towards my mileage. Mile 1 - 15 minutes. That's when I figured out this was going to take me forever. Mile 2 - 13:07. So now we are 28 minutes into my workout and my right foot went numb. Which is a good sign since it usually falls asleep by 20 minutes. At least that's some progress. Took a walk break and played with adjusting the shoes. Decided to try to keep running and just see what happened. I spent about all of mile 3 with a numb foot but kept the pace up. Mile 3 - 12:10. Relaced the shoe up top and finished mile 4 - 12:57 - feeling great. I can't believe how different I felt from Wednesday when I felt so terrible. The entire run was great, kept my pace in check and wasn't sore at all this weekend. Total 53 minute run. At that rate it is going to take me almost 3 hours to finish. I better make a longer playlist.

Busy week coming up so I'm really going to have to plan if I have any hope of getting my running in.

Hope everyone else had a great long run!

2 comments:

MarathonBob July 2, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

TS, have you figured out the "numb" foot problem yet? It sounds like a too tight/wrong lacing problem and/or wearing the wrong shoes. I think you should experiment with (1) wearing your shoes as loosely as possible and (2) changing the lacing to move laces away from the areas that first feel tingly. You might also be wearing shoes that are too small.

Over the years, I have slowly moved to larger running shoes (although my street shoes have not changed), making sure that the heel cup fits snuggly while the toe box was large enough to let my feet expand and move both lengthwise and widthwise. As long as the heel stays static within my shoe, I can lace the rest of the show more loosely. Whenever I feel any tingling in my feet while walking or jogging, I simply have to adjust the tightness or placement of the laces.

Our feet swell during exercise and need more room to expand than when we are sedentary. In addition, since your mother's feet have always swollen more than my feet as the day progressed, you might have a greater disposition to swelling feet than most people.

You might call and/or visit Run On (or as a last resort, Luke's) and ask the people there what they think. I bet that they have either experienced the same problem or know someone who has and, more importantly, know the solution. If you visit, take all pairs of offending shoes.

The Sabins July 2, 2008 at 10:34 AM  

I know it is not the shoes or the lacing...i have tried three different pairs of shoes. And ive tried numerous lacing and once so loose i got a blister. Im thinking today it might be the socks! Weird huh? About to go try without socks...wish me luck!

This even happened with last seasons shoes that i put 130 miles on without any issues.

Im also going to try any arch support if that doesnt work.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP